IPPS 2019 Conference Travel and Housing Information
The conference will be held at the University of Miami’s Newman Alumni Center, 6200 San Amaro Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146. This address will enable you to search for hotels or alternative accommodations nearby, and may also be useful for travel or customs forms.
Miami International Airport is nine miles north of the conference site.
The Miami International Airport, University of Miami conference location, and some recommended hotels are all accessible via the Miami Metrorail public transit system (short walks may be involved). Fare cards can be purchased at the airport and Metrorail stops. If you plan to see more of the city, Lyft/Uber, taxis, or car rentals may be useful.
The Metrorail has a stop at the university about .6 miles walk from the conference site. It stops at University Center on the south side of the U of Miami Coral Gables campus. Here is a map that locates the station.
We strongly encourage participants to book their housing early: April is still high season in South Florida, and most room rates are based on demand, so prices will only go up with time, with the exception of a couple of properties. The following hotels are recommended by our local hosts. All are within a couple of miles of the University of Miami campus; some are selected for their proximity to Metrorail, which stops at both Miami International Airport (MIA) and the University of Miami (University Station), 0.7 miles along Ponce de Leon Blvd from the Newman Alumni Center, the conference venue.
The following hotels offer a range of rates during a period that is considered “high season” in South Florida, which runs approximately from Thanksgiving through Easter each year. Options #1 and #4, below, have offered reasonable, guaranteed rates for the conference dates. Because of the small size of the meeting, we are not in position otherwise to negotiate or guarantee a rate for a block of rooms, but see options 2, 3, and 7, below. Contact Tom ASAP if interested in getting a block rate for those properties: firstname.lastname@example.org. There are many other hotel and Airbnb options within a few miles of campus.
A. Dadeland is a financial, retail, and residential area (a concrete world) with proximity to restaurants and to Metrorail South and North stations.
1. Aloft Hotel, 7600 N Kendall Drive, Miami, FL 33156 (305) 595-6000 $139.00 is the rate offered for the conference dates. With something of a boutique hotel feel (including a bar), this property presents a 0.7 mile walk to the Dadeland South Metrorail station, across busy roads. It is 3 miles from the conference site, so a short Uber/Lyft ride. Contact: Diana Rodriguez (305) 938-5824 email@example.com
2. *Courtyard by Marriott, Dadeland, 9075 S Dadeland Blvd, Miami, FL 33156 (305) 670-1220 $224.00 (Corporate code: UOM) [I can possibly get a rate of $179 if I can guarantee ten (10) rooms at this or the next property; please contact me immediately, if interested]
3. *Miami Marriott Dadeland, 9090 S Dadeland Blvd, Miami, FL 33156 (305) 670-1035 $224.00 (Corporate code: UOM) [I can possibly get a rate of $179 if I can guarantee ten (10) rooms at this or the previous property; please contact me immediately, if interested].
B. Coconut Grove is slightly north and east of the UM campus offering several hotel options and many dining options.
4. Hampton Inn by Hilton, 2800 SW 28th Terrace, Coconut Grove, FL 33133. Directly across US 1 from a Metrorail stop; a short Uber/Lyft ride into the Grove for many restaurant options. (305) 448-2800 $149.00 rate offered for those dates in April 2019. Contact LaChondra Fuller: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Mayfair Hotel, 3000 Florida Ave, Coconut Grove, FL 33133 Likely rate, per availability: $199.00 (305) 441-0000. Centrally located in Coconut Grove; Uber/Lyft to the Coconut Grove Metrorail stop or directly to the conference site. Reserve a room here. Corporate account code: UOM Contact Liliana Penaranda with questions- Liliana.Penaranda@
6. The Mutiny Hotel 2951 South Bayshore Drive | Miami, Floriday 33133 USA Phone: 305.441.2100 | Phone 888.868.8469 Likely rates, per availability: $219-$249. Centrally located in Coconut Grove for restaurants and the marina. Uber/Lyft to the Coconut Grove Metrorail stop or directly to the conference site.
C. Coral Gables is the city in which the university is located. There are no public transportation options available to campus, but Uber/Lyft can span the distance of two miles (or less), and it offers many hotel and dining options.
7. *Courtyard by Marriott, Coral Gables, 2051 S Le Jeune Rd, Coral Gables, FL 33134. The business travel rate for the university is $197.00; I can possibly negotiate a lower rate for a group who guarantee to book a room in a small block. This hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport, a few miles to the north; it is 3.7 miles north-northwest of the conference site.